Step 2 - Pass the PTCE
What's the PTCE?
The Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam.
It is the most widely accepted aptitude tests regarding the competency of Pharmacy Technicians. Most companies (like CVS, Walgreen, Kroger, etc.) require the PTCE regardless of the state that you live in (as they operate in most of the states listed below).
The following States require the PTCE:
Arizona, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming.
What's on the PTCE?
- The PTCE contains 90 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 110 minutes.
- 10 of the 90 questions do not count toward candidates' scores.
- These 10 are generally new questions being piloted for possible inclusion on future versions of the PTCE. Candidates will not know which questions are unscored and are therefore encouraged to try their best and answer all questions.
- There is no penalty for guessing.
- A five minute tutorial will precede the start of the exam and a five minute exit survey will follow the exam, bringing the total test appointment to 120 minutes (two hours).
Currently the PTCE is made up of the following:
Assisting the Pharmacist in Serving Patients (66% of the Exam)
They do intend to switch the test up a bit, toward the end of this year (date undetermined):
How do I pass the PTCE?